2.10.05

evil

the world seems grey and broken when you hear that a friend of a friend has a baby rushed to the hospital.

the darkened mess seems more empty when you hear that the child was moved to a different hospital and may not make it.

amidst these, life seems to continue with ease.

things stop and the darkened world seems dirty, evil, and filled with shameful hopelessness when the next news comes.

the problems are not a result of natural causes.
the baby's been abused by someone you know and might even count a friend.
your friend has been arressted for attempted homocide.

nothing is okay anymore.

when the depth of child - baby! - abuse steps onto your front door, the world feels too filthy and desperate to enter.

what the fuck is wrong with people?

i'm wise enough to know that the seed of this evil that found itself nestled and growing in my friend, is no different that that which is in me.

the evil is not out there, it is in here.
violence surrounds us.

my only prayer, "God save me and others from ourselves. Protect us for we know not what we do! God please protect these sweet, fragile gifts you've given the world!"

2 comments:

bryan nixon said...

becky,
there are tears in my eyes and rage in my heart as i read your post. beyond that my words fail me and are insufficient.

Becky said...

yeah, i didn't sleep, haven't been able to concentrate and don't know what to say.

the world just feels altered and beyond any hope of beauty in this moment.