10.5.06

home - where the heart is

this morning, i forgot you.

i walked with a friend - a cherished sister. i was on top of the world. my neighborhood was heaven. my life was the kingdom. the coffee tasted of eternity. our conversation turned to encounter. i laughed. i enjoyed. my heart was home - and i knew, at 24, i am lucky to know so well my home.

i sang her a sad song, knowing she's leaving. the sorrow of her leaving could not touch the beauty of her face as she wept over the song. i was home - and i knew, at 24, i am rich to know such a full home.

i left that world to meet a kingdom seeker. we left our tasks to be raptured in eternity in the dark wall of a practicum room. my passion danced with hers. i was home - and i knew, at 24, i am blessed to know such a peopled home.

from there i met my friend and her gorgeous children. they danced and sang with me. they ran to me and laughed with glee. i was home - and i knew, at 24, i am loved to know such a gleeful home.

this evening, i remembered you.
i felt trapped.
i felt shame.
i felt unable to remember my beauty.
i felt my joy swallowed by your pain.
i was frustrated.
i was angry.
i was sad and depressed.
i was not home -

and i wondered, at 24, will i ever know home?

tonight i remembered you - in your place.
i laughed.
i encountered beauty.
i joked.
i cried.
i dreamed.
i was home -
and i knew, at 24, i am wise to know such a paradoxical home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful, rebecca tucker. so beautiful. thank you for this gift.

K said...

Hey,

I wanted you to know that I love your poetry and it seems quite obious to me...and my mom as well actually (yeah she's a blog reader but not commenter)...that you have been given a beautiful mind...I'm always nervous to comment on people's writing I do not know so well...but you should know I enjoy your honesty, transparency, and how effortlessly it seems you convey your journey with the Lord. I loved your post about the "kingdom" too...so yeah...

Anonymous said...

What is there more precious, more aching than home? Nothing better. Nothing truer. Love you.

Becky said...

josh,

thanks. feel free to comment any time!

though, i'm guessing that through the summer i'll probably be a little delinguent as the sun shines in seattle for a small window of time. :)