23.2.06

so, i (with a fellow student, Jon) preached today in my "preaching" class. only we didn't really preach, we "crafted a transformational moment." i wasn't trying to be overly creative or, as my professor termed "experimental," but that was what happened. it was midrashic, intimate, participatory, serving, it gave me more than it gave my words, it was being rather than doing, it was post-modern, it invited the class into the shared experience, it met different people at different time and in different ways, it was a sensory experience.

these things could all go on the list of thing i have fought to be. and if i was ever seen as these, i would think to myself, "i've worked hard to be this person."

today, i was me - a very sick, weak, empty of energy me. and this is what was.

there is really something to being who you are and not striving for something else. it feels like trust and like admmiring an Artist's on-going work.

Does this mean that I do not try to become more, to grow in the likeness of Christ? no. But it also means I rest and recieve God's pleasure.


When Jesus said to Peter, "On this rock I will build my church," Do you think he meant "With what I can change this rock into, I will build my church." Or, do you think he meant something like Michealangelo meant when he crafted David - "There is something in this rock that I will free, but on this rock - and it can be no other rock - and it does not need to be a different rock - i will build my church."

1 comment:

jessi knippel said...

the image of the rock is beautiful and such an inviting way of looking at life.